Rice is so versatile, yet after a while it can get boring. If you’re looking for a flavorful way to jazz up your rice, this Arroz a Banda recipe is for you.
Not only is it easy and relatively quick to prepare, it can be a good starting point to become an amazing paella chef, because here you will learn some basic steps that you can use to make any rice dish.
Traditionally prepared by fishermen with a bunch of leftover fish and a couple of cheap ingredients, nowadays, this rice dish is typically prepared on the Mediterranean coast of Spain. When making this dish, keep a close eye on the cooking time and make sure you get the texture of the rice just right. Once you do, you’ll be a real rice master. Another good point to try this Arroz a Banda recipe before a Paella.
We’re using cuttlefish to make this dish. Cuttlefish pack a ton of nutrition. They’re an excellent source of a ton of minerals including iron, phosphorus, zinc, and selenium as well as the B vitamins B12 and B2. And they’re packed with protein, but low in fat and calories, perfect if you’re on a diet.
Also, keep in mind that this dish is usually served with ali-oli sauce, which complements it perfectly. You can learn how to make it here.
Arroz a Banda Recipe
- 450 gr Rice Arroz Bomba if possible
- 1.25 l fish broth
- 1 cuttlefish
- 8 shrimps
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 mature tomatoes
- saffron (a few strands)
- 1/2 teasp sweet paprika
- olive oil
- Chop the cuttlefish into medium-size cubes. Chop the garlic cloves into thin slices. Peel the shrimps. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a big pan over medium heat and cook the garlic for a minute.
- Add the cuttlefish and shrimps and stir-fry for another 2 minutes. Wash the tomatoes and grate them on top.
- Cook, stirring frequently for 5 minutes. In the meantime heat the fumet or fish broth in a different casserole.
- Add the rice, saffron and sweet paprika to your cuttlefish mixture and mix everything well for a minute. Add the fumet on top.
- Cook over low/medium heat (just high enough to keep the stock boiling) for about 20 minutes. This is the perfect time to prepare some ali-oli sauce.
- A few minutes before the 20 minute mark, you can try some of the rice, adding some salt if necessary. Turn your heat off and let rest for 2 minutes before serving.