Are you craving noodles? This Fideua Negra recipe will satisfy your cravings!
The Mediterranean coast is famous for its amazing Paella, but we strongly recommend that you try a good Fideuá as well if you’re visiting. It’s not a very well-known dish, but it’s a must-try. It’s like a Paella, but unlike Paella, it’s made with short thin noodles instead of rice. This gives the dish an interesting texture and flavor profile as the noodles absorb the flavor of the broth. We know it may not have the same sex appeal as a paella or a rissoto, however, it is not as hard to make and it is delicious as well.
There is another reason why you may want to cook this dish at home. While it may be difficult to find bomba rice (the one used to cook paellas) you will probably find all the ingredients you need to make this fideua negra recipe at your local grocery store, which is a great advantage.
Fideua Negra Recipe
- 300 grams short noodles
- 600 ml fish broth
- 1 squid (2 if they´re small)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 tomatoes
- squid Ink It can be fresh or if you have the small plastic envelopes, use 2 of them.
- olive oil
- Chop the onion. Peel and chop two garlic cloves as well. Cut the squid into medium-sized pieces (about 4-5 cm would be perfect).
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a big pan over medium heat and toss the onion in. Stir it for around four minutes or so until it softens and starts to get translucent. Then, toss the garlic in and mix everything together for another minute.
- Grate the tomatoes into the pan, add some salt, and mix together with the onion and garlic. Cook for about 15 minutes on a slow burn stirring occasionally, until the tomato has almost run of out of water and you get a thick sauce.
- In the meantime, put 2 teaspoons of olive oil in a pot and throw the short noodles in. Stir-fry them until they are brownish and set them aside.
- Add the squid to the pan with the tomato sauce and let it cook for another 4 or 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the short noodles as well as the squid ink and mix everything together. Wait for a minute and then add the fish stock.
- Leave it boiling for about 8-10 minutes adding some salt if you feel it needs it. Turn the heat off and let your fideua sit for one or two minutes.