Do you love ratatouille? Then, you’ll enjoy this Manchego version of it. Pisto is typically found in La Mancha, although you can find it pretty much everywhere in Spain.
In Andalucía you can find another version: the pisto andaluz. It is pretty similar but with more ingredients. You can find the recipe here.
Let’s get back to the Pisto Manchego recipe. As we discussed in our article about local cuisine in Castilla La-Mancha, this dish was traditionally prepared by shepherds in the region of La Mancha for centuries. All they needed to do was grab a couple of vegetables from their orchards and a saucepan to make this delicious dish, so we can imagine it spread like wildfire across the region.
Aside from being delicious, this Pisto Manchego recipe is also nutritious. It’s made with red peppers, green peppers, zucchini, and tomato, so you’re getting your vitamins A and C, which are important antioxidants.
If possible, don’t forget to grab a piece of good bread to dip in the sauce… it’s such a delicious, yet inexpensive pleasure!
And by the way, if you want to learn more about La-Mancha and how to eat like a local there, don´t forget to check this link!
Pisto Manchego Recipe
Pisto Manchego is typically found in La Mancha, although you can find it pretty much everywhere in Spain. This easy recipe shows you how to prepare it.
- 1 onion
- 2 red peppers
- 2 green peppers
- 1 zucchini (2 if it´s a small one)
- 500 grams crushed tomato
- black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 eggs (optional)
- Start by chopping all the vegetables into small cubes.
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a pan, and add the onion as soon as the oil gets hot. Stir-fry over low/medium heat until it starts getting translucent.
- Add the rest of the vegetables, and mix well. Cook until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crushed tomato, some salt and black pepper and cook for about 10 minutes. Ladle into serving bowls. Serve with some sweet paprika on top.
- If you like, you can also place some olive oil in a different pan, fry some eggs and place them on top of each dish.
Calories: 152kcalCarbohydrates: 20gProtein: 4gFat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 174mgPotassium: 764mgFiber: 6gSugar: 12gVitamin A: 2573IUVitamin C: 146mgCalcium: 67mgIron: 2mg