When it gets hot outside, you want something to cool you down. Today, we’ll be sharing with you a Salmorejo recipe, a cool, refreshing and delicious homemade dish. If this is your first time making it, you’ll be surprised at how easy it is to make this traditional spanish dish using just a few simple ingredients.
Salmorejo is a dish from Southern Spain. It’s a cold soup made with tomatoes, bread and garlic. It’s very similar to the more popular Gazpacho, but it contains no pepper, and sometimes no vinegar as well, so it is milder. So, it’s perfect if you don’t like things spicy.
In Southern Spain, it can get quite hot in the summer, particularly in the inland regions where temperatures of 100 degrees Fahrenheit are the norm. Yes, you read that right! So, it’s the perfect time to grab some tomatoes, olive oil and bread and treat yourself to a cooling Salmorejo. It’s also perfect as a simple but tasty appetizer. Since it also lasts a few days if you keep it in the fridge, it also works great for meal prep.
And it’s vegan if you leave out the optional Jamón serrano (Spanish dry-cured ham) shavings. Since it’s packed with tomatoes, you’ll also be getting Vitamin A and Vitamin C, which are necessary for eye health and fighting off colds.
- 1 kg tomatoes
- 150 gr bread (stale bread – one or two days old)
- 1 clove garlic
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 gr jamón serrano shavings (optional)
- Slice some stale bread and soak it in water for a couple of minutes.
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them into big pieces.
- Blend the tomatoes. Strain them carefully to make sure that you don't get any seeds or skin in the soup. If your blender is powerful enough to completely pulverize the seeds and skin, you can skip this step.
- Take your soaked bread and your peeled garlic clove and add them into the food processor or blender. Blend your mixture well. Pour a drizzle of olive oil slowly while blending… you will see the texture changing to a soup-like consistency.
- Add a pinch of salt and a few jamón serrano shavings on top and enjoy!