Are you looking for a different spin on your classic potato soup? Then, be sure to try this Vichyssoise recipe!
This dish is a creamy, luxurious soup made using cream, chicken broth, leeks and potatoes. As with the mayonnaise recipe, this is another instance of a dish that some would argue that has French origins, not Spanish. Other might say that it comes from the United States, as the first time this recipe was ever officially recorded was in the New York Herald Tribune.
While others debate about the origin of this yummy soup, why don’t we show you how to make a Vichyssoise with this simple recipe?
- 4 leeks (keep the green leaves for the broth)
- 2 carrots
- 2 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 spring onion
- 50 grams butter
- 100 ml cream
- 2 carrots
- 1 chicken carcass
- olive oil
- Start by preparing some chicken broth. Peel the carrots and cut the green part of the leeks. Wash them carefully.
- Heat about two tablespoons of olive oil in a big pot and add the green part of the leeks, the chicken carcass, the carrots, salt and pepper. Stir well and cook for about three minutes. Cover everything with water and turn up the heat until it starts boiling. Then turn the heat down to a point where it keeps boiling. Cook for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove all the ingredients, strain and keep the broth. Once the broth is cold, remove the greasy portion on the surface.
- Once the chicken broth is ready, you can start peeling the potatoes, leeks and spring onion. Cut them up into medium-sized pieces.
- Grab a pot, toss the butter in, and heat over low heat. Once it melts you can add the vegetables. Mix everything well for a minute and then add 750ml of chicken broth. Cover your pot and cook for 15 minutes.
- Blend everything carefully, making sure you don't leave any pieces of vegetables. Add the cream and keep blending until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Add some salt and allow to cool before serving.